Find.......

Custom Search

Monday, February 27, 2012

Beijing, China – The Five Attractions I Most Like to Visit

Beijing, the capital city of China is one of my favourite places to visit, it is very much a westernized modern city that has greatly improved due to its recently being the host to the Olympic Games in 2008. As much as I like to visit this city I would not like to be based here permanently, it is just too big and expensive for my liking.

I like to visit to stock up on some of the things that are difficult to find elsewhere in China. The chief item I look for when returning is the large supply of books from a number of bookstores throughout the city. Being based in China a good supply of reading material in English is a commodity I often find in short supply.

The attractions of Beijing for the tourist are too numerous to mention here but this is a top five varied attractions of places I have personally enjoyed visiting.

Forbidden City

The ever present crowds outside this palace to the former emperors of China's past dynasties pass through the large arch beneath a huge portrait of Chairman Mao. As you cross the bridge towards this archway you feel compelled to join the thousands of other visitors in standing there and marveling at the size of this portrait. Once inside the archway it is still a few minutes walk across a large square to the ticket offices. You will have to pass the many tour guides offering their services to assist you in your visit before you join the line to purchase your entrance ticket. Once you pass through the next archway you will come upon your first view of the many buildings within this vast complex. There are countless museums within the Forbidden City and I have been here on two separate occasions and still not viewed it all.

I have found it to be very tiring walking around in the summer heat and 3 or 4 hours is enough for me. If you leave by the south (main entrance) exit point before you is Tiananmen Square, I like to stroll through here although at times it can be very busy. All around this famous square are museums and in the centre of the square is a mausoleum to Chairman Mao. I lined up with thousands of others to get a quick glimpse of him as he is lying there in state. No cameras, food and drink or bags are to be taken inside. This ruling is strictly enforced. It took about an hour to wait in turn before seeing this former ruler and it is all over in seconds. It is a free attraction so maybe that is another reason why it is so popular. One ironic thing I felt here was the strict enforcing of the camera rule and yet once inside out come the phones and an image is taken without a second glance.

Silk Street Market, just a couple of stops eastbound on the metro line from Tiananmen Square is the impressive Silk Street Market. Inside this building are literally hundreds of stall hoping to persuade you to part with your money. You can buy just about anything inside here and the majority of the salespeople speak very good English to assist you further in your sale. I can only advise to take what you can afford to spend or these salesmen and women will do their utmost to part you from the contents of your wallet for that item you never knew you wanted. I love to walk around here and observe the frenetic action of this place.

Beihai Park, close to the north side of the Forbidden City is the large expanse of lake and gardens known as Beihai Park. Many locals and visitors alike enjoy the peace and tranquility inside here away from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. A central island reached by a causeway across the lake is home to one of the many monasteries to be found in Beijing and from the hill at the top it is an impressive view all around this park.

So far these places I enjoy to visit in Beijing have been in no particular order, I do however have a favourite and it is The Great Wall of China. I have visited this very impressive construction on two occasions now and been to two separate locations both close to Beijing (about one hour outside the city centre). The second time I visited I went there by bus. It was a direct journey there and back and I could stay as long as I wanted to as long as I was in line for the last bus back. I walked along the wall in one direction as far as I was allowed. At times the wall is so steep you are almost climbing up the steps with your hands and feet. Other sections it is just a gentle gradient. Everywhere it was packed with tourists. The first time I visited the wall was with an organized tour, it cost a lot more than the bus and before getting to the wall those of us on this trip had to go round a succession of jade and porcelain factories. We did get fed a lunch time meal that was very impressive but only had about an hour at the wall itself. I can highly recommend going by bus, it is a little more complicated to find the bus terminal but most hotels and hostels in Beijing will be able to assist you with details on where to go.

Beijing, China – The Five Attractions I Most Like to Visit is a post from: Traveling China



from Traveling China http://www.chinaya.org




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 701390

No comments: